WHERE DO I GET AN APPLICATION?
• By contacting the SAR Coordinator (at Sheriff’s office) 530-265-1595
• Download here online - GET VOLUNTEER APPLICATION
Email your completed application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: SAR - Search And Rescue
HOW DO I QUALIFY TO BE A VOLUNTEER?
• You must be in reasonably good health
• Have a valid California Drivers License
• Be at least 18 years of age.
Note: We have a special category for youth between the ages of 14 - 18
Requirements and expectations from the Sheriff include:
• Participation in ongoing training and search activities
• Yearly minimums have been established for participation
• A background investigation
• Approval by the Board
Once approved, an applicant becomes a "Trail Ready" member
ABOUT BASIC TRAINING
Basic training prepares you to be a "Mission Ready" member. Training consists of approximately 60 hours and gives you thorough instructions on the following skills below.
• Introduction to NCSSAR
• Man Tracking
• Map & Compass
• Rough Terrain
• Radio Communication
• Basic SEMS/ICS
• Clue Awareness and Search Tactics
• Physical Fitness
• Interview Skills
• Crime Scene Requirements
In addition, "Trail Ready" members must be able to successfully demonstrate the taught skills to an evaluator to become a "Mission Ready" member. These skills must also be recertified on a bi- annual basis. Specific additional winter Search & Survival skills are taught during the winter months.