WANT TO JOIN?
We welcome you to come attend one of our monthly meetings! You'll have the chance to meet our members, ask questions and see if you have the interest and commitment to become a volunteer member.
For the Nevada City Area
• Meets the 1st Monday of each month at 6:30pm
Supervisors Chambers (1st floor)
Eric Rood Administrative Center, Nevada City
For the Truckee Area
• Meets quarterly the 2nd Thursday (beginning in January) at 6:30pm
2nd floor of the Court House, Truckee
WHERE DO I GET AN APPLICATION?
• They're available at our monthly meetings
• By contacting the SAR Coordinator (at Sheriff’s office) 530-265-1321
• Download here online - GET VOLUNTEER APPLICATION
Email your completed application to: email@example.com
Note: SAR - Search And Rescue
HOW DO I QUALIFY TO BE A VOLUNTEER?
• You must be in reasonably good health
• Have a valid California Drivers License
• Be at least 18 years of age.
Note: We have a special category for youth between the ages of 14 - 18
Requirements and expectations from the Sheriff include:
• Participation in ongoing training and search activities
• Yearly minimums have been established for participation
• A background investigation
• Approval by the Board
Once approved, an applicant becomes a "Trail Ready" member
ABOUT BASIC TRAINING
Basic training prepares you to be a "Mission Ready" member. Training consists of approximately 60 hours and gives you thorough instructions on the following skills below.
• Introduction to NCSSAR
• Man Tracking
• Map & Compass
• Rough Terrain
• Radio Communication
• Basic SEMS/ICS
• Clue Awareness and Search Tactics
• Physical Fitness
• Interview Skills
• Crime Scene Requirements
In addition, "Trail Ready" members must be able to successfully demonstrate the taught skills to an evaluator to become a "Mission Ready" member. These skills must also be recertified on a bi- annual basis. Specific additional winter Search & Survival skills are taught during the winter months.